January 1, 2009

Artist Statement


One fall, my art evolved from realistic oils paintings, into a contemporary style, with an experimental flair. My current body of works are non-objective, include organic shapes and optical interest. This change occurred following a visit, to the Kimbell Museum, to see the Caravaggio to Dali exhibit. The 20th Century masterpieces were inspiring, especially the work by Max Ernst. That exceptional group of paintings evoked an overwhelming flow of creative thinking.

That evening, following the trip to the museum, I was overwhelmed with inspiration, so much so that I couldn’t sleep. One creative thought continually lead to another, forcing me away from a resting state. Therefore, I succumbed, stayed up all night and allowed creativity to take over. In essence, I exploited the muse to its fullest, by entering my studio and throughout the night, I feverishly took notes, experimented and pursued each new idea. I was truly in a creative moment. This submission to the muse, revealed an original technique, which promises to improve and develop into future unique works.

This single trip to the museum profoundly effected my creativity, technique and enthusiasm. You could say, creativity tapped me on the shoulder and I didn’t ignore it, when it spoke to me. I feel fortunate that I’m growing as an artist and I will continue seeking improvement and inspiration. I have whole heartedly embraced the creative and experimental challenge and it has yielded an unique and original technique, which I can call my own. I intend on following this process to it’s exhausted end and I will continue to push the limits of my creativity. My desire is to see my technique evolve into many profound, interesting and attractive works of art.

When you meet the Muse, embrace.